Air Permeability Testing

Air permeability testing is a requirement that you need to meet when you have a new building. It is a part of the building regulations and it is a very important issue. If you have an air leakage in your home then this will affect the heating levels and it also means that you can’t have the best energy rating either. Air permeability is also known as being air pressure, air tightness and even air leakage and it measures the uncontrolled flow of air as it travels through the cracks and gaps in the building. You will need to have an air permeability test to make sure that your home meets all of the required regulations.

When you do have your property analysed with a permeability test, you will find that this is one of the main parts when you determine the energy efficiency of a building and as regulations get stricter and stricter, you will find that it helps to have a solution in place when your building is in its initial phase so you don’t have to deal with these problems later. When the permeability testing phase has been completed, you will be able to find out how effective your strategy is and you can also find out where the leaks are as well. If a test does happen to fail then you will need to have a good testing engineer at-hand because they will be able to tell you a remedial measure and this is a great way for you to get everything you need, quickly and efficiently.

Air Permeability & Regulations

When you take a look at the building regulations from a couple of years ago, you will find that it is entirely possible to test samples that have been taken from numerous dwellings. Ever since then however, the Part L1 2010 has changed and the number of dwellings that actually need to be tested has increased. For that reason, there is now criteria that needs to be met and this is the main thing that you need to remember. When you do get your home tested, you need to remember that your home will most likely be below 10 but it will be under 5 on average and this is because of all the regulations you need to meet on a day to day basis.


For all developments, you need to have an air permeability test for fabric and this is normally carried out on three dwellings that are over 50%. If you do have an untested building then the permeability must be taken based on the average of the test results that are for that type of building. Unless you test all of the buildings, you won’t find out an accurate number for each and for this reason you need to make sure that the design for the permeability is no more than 8m³/hm²@50Pa.

We provide coverage to a huge number of clients. We have worked with those who have incredibly large developments and we have also worked with those who have domestic buildings as well.

Why Choose Us?

  • Discounts for SAP/SBEM Calculations
  • Full UK Coverage
  • Experienced and Accredited Team
  • Practical Advice
  • Same Day Certificates

Related SAP Calculation Services

To discuss your project requirements, please contact us.

Need a Quotation?

In case you have not found any answers here or you have more inquiries to ask, please feel free to drop us a message and we will contact you back very soon.

Contact Us